Project Charter – Milestones
A milestone is a significant event in the course of a project that is used to give visibility of progress in terms of achievement of predefined milestone goals. Failure to meet a milestone indicates that a project is not proceeding to plan and usually triggers corrective action by management.
Milestones have no duration, they represent instantaneous events that occur throughout the project. Typical project events that are marked with milestones are:
- The completion of a project phase
- The approval of a deliverable
- The completion of a scheduled review
- The completion of an activity
- The commencement of an activity.